Friday, February 12, 2010

Ramblings...

The sun came out today just in time to see itself set. As I was driving over the 17th street bridge I could see a faint glimmer bouncing off the downtown buildings to my right. It disappeared over the horizon as quick as it came out from behind the clouds.

I thought about this city. There are pockets of life-giving activity all around, yet it is possible blend in and fade away. Untold numbers of people likely do just that. Some do it by choice, while others agonize at their loneliness. Caught in the crossfires between Baylor social status, class, and the ubiquitous religious conversations, this can be a lonely place.

I am often alone, yet rarely lonely. I am a skillful traveler of the road that journeys from introvert to extrovert. I function well in crowds, can charm he socks off of old ladies, and have become somewhat adept at the well timed witty remark among a table of friends. But I also love my alone time. I need it. I need to be able to look at the just arrived yet soon to vanish sun and to sit with the image for hours and try to figure out what it means.

I suppose it means this-- It reflects off of what it will. It gives us all the opportunity, if only for a brief moment, to see the angles, to imagine what it means for light to break through the darkness, to illuminate the faces of those who would be close to us. It also shows us the way home.

1 comment: